Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Book Review: Og Mandino's "THE GREATEST SALESMAN IN THE WORLD"

By Steve Savage "King of the Beasts"

There is something heroic in the way in which "true" salespeople earn their living. It requires a warrior's mentality. If you are a "Commission Only" salesperson, and cannot afford to fail because you have nowhere to fail to, "The Greatest Salesman in the World" is the map that will guide you on that road that winds uphill all the way to the very end on the day's journey that lasts from morn to night, my friend.

I first read "The Greatest Salesman," August 8, 1973, and, immediately thereafter, vectored into a Cosmic Consciousness Experience, the resultant of which was a perfectly integrated structure-function relationship in which I and the book became one. I have read "The Greatest Salesman" every day from the day of that experience to the present.

Ralph Waldo Emerson, among others, has said that "we become what we think about." "The Greatest Salesman" is what I think about. I recorded the words of the 10 Scrolls on cassette, in my own voice, and listen to it on my morning drive to the office and on the way home.

There are three books which I emphatically recommend to all who won't eat until they shoot the buffalo:
1. "Skill With People" by Les Giblin;
2. "The Greatest Salesman in the World" by Og Mandino; and
3. "Closing the Sale" by J. Douglas Edwards.

Les Giblin reveals what it is that people need to hear; Og Mandino essentially shows you how to brainwash yourself with the principles for success, and J. Douglas Edwards will teach you how to get the money. Each of these books can be easily and quickly read in one sitting. Buy these books at any cost. Do not borrow them! As one of my Master Teachers, "Cherry Hill Fats," the 700-pound creative sales genius was fond of saying, "People only value what they pay for; they only read what they buy.

Og Mandino and I spoke often over the years before his return to the Father, the true Author of "The Greatest Salesman." If the world followed his teachings, we would all become like storybook children walking hand in hand across the meadow.

No comments: